Author Topic: How often can you trust your thoughts and your Gut  (Read 323 times)

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka
How often can you trust your thoughts and your Gut
« on: August 05, 2017, 12:00:44 PM »
Hi,

As I am meditating I found that many beliefs and the thoughts I had about certain things or about myself were wrong. I used to hold to it thinking it's true.
But still in our day to day life we make decisions based on our experience and the perception.

I know longer able to decide which thoughts and instinct of mine I should believe?

I don't know how correct is that but I have idea about my future self. Like what I would like to be doing in the future.

Is it okay that I make a Goal and work towards it?

In the past I had felt the pain not achieving the Goal. Having the goal and not achieving it have caused suffering. Should I keep making new Goals?

Laurent

• The Suttas are the Dhamma
    • enrich, broaden
Re: How often can you trust your thoughts and your Gut
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 07:45:42 PM »
Hello,

Hi,

As I am meditating I found that many beliefs and the thoughts I had about certain things or about myself were wrong. I used to hold to it thinking it's true.

It is a very good thing  ;)

But still in our day to day life we make decisions based on our experience and the perception.

I know longer able to decide which thoughts and instinct of mine I should believe?

I don't know how correct is that but I have idea about my future self. Like what I would like to be doing in the future.

In the past I had felt the pain not achieving the Goal. Having the goal and not achieving it have caused suffering. Should I keep making new Goals?

Keeping regular practice in the present time will help.

Cheers.
Ideologies are either a mistake or a hoax!

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »
Thanks for your response Laurent.

Keeping regular practice in the present time will help.

Can you please elaborate on this more?

Laurent

• The Suttas are the Dhamma
    • enrich, broaden
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 09:04:42 PM »
Projections are untangible, desires, hypothesis, ideas etc... though they're useful to deal with one's business.
 Keeping a regular practice of meditation: mindfulness of the present reality, letting go in the here and now, helps to find resources, joy, energy and happiness in the present which is the only moment where you can actually live.

Ideologies are either a mistake or a hoax!

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 11:30:36 PM »
I mostly trust my ability to solve problems and/or make decisions, ie I trust directed thought.

Thoughts that arise spontaneously when not wanted though are mostly fake news, the minds way of escaping or entertaining itself so should not be trusted.

BeHereNow

• "Do not doubt your basic goodness." J. Kornfield
    • Shambhala
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
I find this to be very timely as I find my thoughts around my current job not being my "calling" or the "right" job are quite loud.

I've followed this thought before, made all kinds of goals, and found myself in a variety of jobs or situations, but the pain remains and I find I continue this loop fruitlessly.

While I've played with changing careers altogether, my sense as I continue to practice is that this won't solve the fundamental dissatisfaction that I feel, and may just cause a whole new set of problems.

My new strategy is to let go of this thought as it arises, and return to the present moment.  There is a lot of fear around this, as it would require me to let go of trying to figure out my future, and instead rest in the present moment, and accept that I just don't know what will happen next.

It feels new and refreshing, as I see that the thought about this being so wrong for me (and the pain that comes with it) comes and goes.  This morning I was almost in tears at a meeting, and after a workout at lunch this afternoon I feel grateful to be in a job that allows me to be of service but is not overly demanding, so I can work out at lunch!

My aim is to try a year of this and see how it goes, a self-made retreat of sorts where I let go of making plans for the future and setting new goals.  I will trust the process, and return to this moment again and again.

We'll see how it goes...
"You are the Sky.  Everything else is just the weather." - Pema Chodron

Alex

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 10:32:56 AM »
Hi,

Off course it’s okay to set a goal, to plan ahead.
Maybe look at your intentions. On the one extreme you could be building towards a wholesome life, or supportive of your liberative practice. On the other extreme you could be setting goals in order to chase some future self that will be happy “if only” it has this or that.

Clinging to goals and views about self is what causes suffering, not that you didn’t achieve them.

And how do you work towards goals? Do you work diligently, patiently and with trust, or is there stress, worries and unwholesome behavior along the way?

--

What can you trust, gut or thoughts? Maybe better not have fixed views about this, but be pragmatic. Wisdom tells you what is good decision.  :D And sometimes things turns out differently. Can this be good enough as well? Can you continue with fresh spirit?  ;)

And when there is a lot of thinking, emotion, craving or dissatisfaction, with regard to a potential decision, maybe it’s more wise to work through this first, so you can see more clearly, like BeHereNow suggests.

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 06:44:16 PM »

My new strategy is to let go of this thought as it arises, and return to the present moment.  There is a lot of fear around this, as it would require me to let go of trying to figure out my future, and instead rest in the present moment, and accept that I just don't know what will happen next.

My aim is to try a year of this and see how it goes, a self-made retreat of sorts where I let go of making plans for the future and setting new goals.  I will trust the process, and return to this moment again and again.

We'll see how it goes...

Ha ha. I was also ruminating over the same thought. Just being in the present. Thanks for your answer.  :)

Middleway

• Now is beautiful
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 02:45:07 AM »

You need not let go of the thought as it arises. It will rise and fall on its own and will not linger even if you want it to stay. It is just a matter of time before it dissolves. You need to understand how your mind grasps an underlying issue which causes the thoughts/thought train to arise. You need to focus on the root cause of the thoughts arising in the first place.

What do you mean by return to the present moment? That thought arising and falling IS the present moment. Even a thought about the past or the future still occurs in the present moment. If you try anything else (by force) and "return" to the present moment, you are simply diverting your mind and forcing it to think something else. Pushing away a negative thought is not letting go. It is simply diverting your mind and focusing on something else. 

Present moment is all about passively observing whatever occurs as it happens (good or bad) with dispassion. If there is a negative thought, we should just observe. No need to let go of it. Observe as it dissolves by itself. Then observe what remains after dissolution. When you passively observing this way, your mind will not grasp and power the thought train. Then the mind will become calm(er) on its own.

Guilt, shame, judging, fear and anxiety about the future etc.; all these are powered by our insecure ego-self. This is the root cause of all our negative emotions and thoughts. Observe how madly insane this ego-self is. The ego-self is what you have to let go.  Everything else is just a diversion.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:48:57 AM by Middleway »
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 04:18:46 AM »
I find this to be very timely as I find my thoughts around my current job not being my "calling" or the "right" job are quite loud.

I've followed this thought before, made all kinds of goals, and found myself in a variety of jobs or situations, but the pain remains and I find I continue this loop fruitlessly.

this is always a difficult problem. i've been in the situation and there is no guarantee that any decision you make will be the right one.

i do think that over the years, i have begun to rely on my gut feeling about people, situations etc. meditation seems to help both intuition about people and situations as well as directed thought. it is basically calmness and a detached mind that helps. but naturally i still make mistakes.
Mostly ignorant

BeHereNow

• "Do not doubt your basic goodness." J. Kornfield
    • Shambhala
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 04:41:27 PM »
I find these replies super helpful.  Thank you all!  Thank you for the great question, Raushan!
"You are the Sky.  Everything else is just the weather." - Pema Chodron

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 07:31:07 PM »
I find these replies super helpful.  Thank you all!  Thank you for the great question, Raushan!

You are welcome, Paula  :)