Author Topic: Meditation in the mountains  (Read 309 times)

Leigh

• Write something about yourself here
    • Secular
Meditation in the mountains
« on: March 14, 2017, 12:51:42 AM »
Can anyone recommend a meditation group or sangha that may allow a guest to participate in practice for a couple of weeks?

I'm open to any place in the US very close to mountains of at least 2000m.  I can work remotely, so my goal is to hole up for a couple of weeks with most free time spent hiking or on my practice.

I have no hard rules, just trying to match as close as practical to my interests:
  - Metta practice
  - Listening to dharma talks
  - Acceptance of secular practitioners and scientific beliefs

I'm in central texas but obviously willing to travel (no mountains here).  Could be Colorado, NM, or maybe even Canada   I'm trying not to be in a hurry. :)

thank you -

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Here and now forever.
Re: Meditation in the mountains
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 10:36:23 PM »
Not far from Boulder, CO is the Shambhala Mountain Centre (formerly Rocky Mountain Shambhala Centre)

If there isn't a program that suits you may be able to volunteer for a few weeks or stay as a guest. I don't know their minimum terms. Usually you work about 4 hours a day, have 4 hours or so of formal meditation, and can access some talks as a volunteer.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Leigh

• Write something about yourself here
    • Secular
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 09:03:04 PM »
Thank you for the lead, beautiful area.  By chance have you been or heard what it's like?  I thought I remember reading about a sex scandal at a retreat near there.  However it was decades ago and surely not relevant now.

On a separate note, someone suggested Los Angeles which wasn't really what I was thinking of.  However I guess one benefit is that the larger the city the higher chance of finding a good group to sit with.

Take care -

Not far from Boulder, CO is the Shambhala Mountain Centre (formerly Rocky Mountain Shambhala Centre)

If there isn't a program that suits you may be able to volunteer for a few weeks or stay as a guest. I don't know their minimum terms. Usually you work about 4 hours a day, have 4 hours or so of formal meditation, and can access some talks as a volunteer.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Here and now forever.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:47:47 PM »
Hi Leigh,

There was scandal historically in this Sangha - both under the founder Chogyam Trungpa, and then his Dharma heir - who had HIV and thought his high level of spiritual attainment would stop him passing this on (that's some big ego bullshit right there).

Nowadays the Sangha is much more sane and grounded under Mipham Rinpoche (Trungpa's son). I've not been to the Colorado centre but lived in their land centre in France for 20 months in 1999/2000.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~