Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Visuddhimagga  (Read 2941 times)

metta fou

Visuddhimagga
« on: Thursday 06 November 2008, 12:55 AM »
http://www.dhammastudy.com/Vsm.html

The whole text of the Path of Purification online  :-* 

Offline Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
  • (-: Staff
  • Practice, tradition or school: Keep it simple
Re: Visuddhimagga
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 November 2008, 06:40 AM »
Good find!

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

pamojjam

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 November 2008, 12:00 PM »
And from this other forum a related work - the Vimuttimagga - can be downloaded as Pdfs:

http://www.abhidhamma.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=180

Flipasso

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 November 2008, 12:52 PM »
I've been trying to stick my teeth (lol) on these for a while now.
Thx for the link I'll download'em latter. Maybe in a month from now (right TIB)?
Can anyone recommend a good Abhidhamma book. I have one but he just talks about how the abhidhamma is great without going into any detail about the abhidhamma actually...

pamojjam

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 November 2008, 06:26 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good Abhidhamma book. I have one but he just talks about how the abhidhamma is great without going into any detail about the abhidhamma actually...

Though I personally wont read Abhidhamma books for as long as I still want to read so many Suttas first - which probably will still take some livetimes - and aren't in the condition to give recomendations.
However, the above mentioned forum has a section of online books, also on Abhidhamma:

http://www.abhidhamma.org/contents.htm

kind regards..

Offline Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
  • (-: Staff
  • Practice, tradition or school: Keep it simple
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 November 2008, 09:09 PM »

Do at least a year of Shamatha before even contemplating Abhidhamma. Attain Samadhi, one pointed mind and undertake Vipassana. Those are the first priorities on the path of meditation.

Right understanding is important. However, we are conditioned to a much greater extent than people who lived in the day of the Buddha. Amongst other things they did not see on average X thousand advertising messages a day, for example, and were not subjected to 12 years of day long indoctrination in "truth" at school.

We have more conditoning to overcome. The path has not changed but the people walking it are different. You likely will not truly taste Shamatha until you have experienced deep Shamatha practice of a month of 10 hours a day plus for example. Then you have a long haul taking Shamatha practice to it's fullest fruit. Then Vipassana is not hard work at all. There is a deep layer of fundamental ego structures to dissolve beyond this which is a challenge in itself however that's a long way off.

I really can not emphasise how important actually sitting is. Much more important than any other aspect. I agree with Pamojjam that the Suttas offer the richest pickings for finding the Buddha's truth also. after all, the Abhidhamma, in short, is a lot of waffle of academic types written down long after Gautama kicked the bucket.

It's parallel to the example of sitting rather than reading about it and being alone rather than reading about it that I have discussed elsewhere. The Pali canon offers the closest thing to the words of the Buddha and read with discernment will improve understanding at the right time.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: Thursday 06 November 2008, 09:15 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~