Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can you do samatha meditation while working in office?  (Read 8193 times)

Offline ramelec

Can you do samatha meditation while working in office?
« on: Friday 04 March 2011, 08:08 AM »
I am just wondering if anyone can do a samatha meditation during office hours on office chair? Do you just empty stare or close your eyes and meditate on the chair facing the computer screen?  I believe hands still on the lap? (assuming instead of going to toilet). Any tips? Thanks.
Best Regards
Jeffrey

Offline Andrew

• Practice, tradition or school: friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
Re: Can you do samatha meditation while working in office?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 March 2011, 08:54 AM »
If you have the privacy and time I'm sure you could get a good session in..  Grab whatever opportunity you can. Meditation is an attitude of mind you carry with you all the time. Instead of thinking about the future, or the past or all the other things we worry about, surrender to the moment and stay relaxed. Stopping worry, is a major part of all this; having faith in the process and subtle benefits of sitting.

I find myself automatically taking deep breaths and noticing them now, whenever I'm getting stressed. I used to get head aches from holding my breath and breathing too shallow when stressed.

love

andy
getting it done

Online Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
  • (-: Staff
  • Practice, tradition or school: Keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 March 2011, 01:21 PM »
ramelec,

Definitely yes. You can do Shamatha meditation on the train on the way to work, sitting at your desk, or if you really want some privacy go to the toilet and sit on the pan for five minutes every couple of hours (no one is allowed to ask what you are doing on the toilet in most companies!).

Take every opportunity to be aware of breath and calm yourself. For you this kind of "frequent flyer" program - added to at least one twenty minute session at the same time every day - is a very powerful combination.

Matthew

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Offline ramelec

« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 March 2011, 01:43 PM »
Any tips bout lying on bed n do meditation?
Best Regards
Jeffrey

Online Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
  • (-: Staff
  • Practice, tradition or school: Keep it simple
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 March 2011, 01:47 PM »
You can but it's hard to stay mindful unless you have a little practice behind you. You may fall asleep - if you do that's fine - you probably need sleep more than meditation. For your formal practice I recommend sitting. If you are having trouble falling asleep at night calm-abiding practice, breathing and relaxing, will often help you go to sleep (just remember not to stay awake!).

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Offline Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
  • Practice, tradition or school: Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 March 2011, 04:46 PM »
I am just wondering if anyone can do a samatha meditation during office hours on office chair? Do you just empty stare or close your eyes and meditate on the chair facing the computer screen?  I believe hands still on the lap?

You could try meditation during working. In the beginning it's sort of tricky, but since humans are multi-taskers ... sometimes I manage to talk to somebody without stopping my meditation. Your awareness jumps very fast and controlled from task to meditation and back, the awareness "oscillates" between task and meditation, then you can do both at once.

Any tips bout lying on bed n do meditation?

Without snoozing within minutes? That's something for Masters ...  ;)
« Last Edit: Thursday 10 March 2011, 04:49 PM by stefan »
anicca

Morning Dew

« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 March 2011, 07:47 PM »
Yesterday and today I meditated at work in the toilet for 5 minutes :) it helped a lot to maintain the calmness during the working hours.

Offline ramelec

« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 March 2011, 05:54 AM »
I went to the private cubicle after lunch and try to meditate 25 mins..i drifted sleeping! Must be the after lunch effect. :-\
Best Regards
Jeffrey

Offline Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 March 2011, 07:19 AM »
I went to the private cubicle after lunch and try to meditate 25 mins..i drifted sleeping! Must be the after lunch effect. :-\

yes it is ... the body focusses his awareness on digestion ... that's the awareness you lack for meditation after eating.
anicca

Offline Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 March 2011, 07:22 AM »
Yesterday and today I meditated at work in the toilet for 5 minutes :) it helped a lot to maintain the calmness during the working hours.

Did you ever try to meditate during working? I know it works for some techniques, but since I never tried yours I'd be interested wether you can do a reasonably good Samatha-meditation while working.
anicca

Morning Dew

« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 March 2011, 07:50 AM »
Did you ever try to meditate during working? I know it works for some techniques, but since I never tried yours I'd be interested wether you can do a reasonably good Samatha-meditation while working.

Yes I do Shamatha all day long even while I am writing this to you :)
Of course my awareness drifts away very so often but I remember to bring it back to the whole body breathing again and again and again. Lets say I am in the park walking the dog; I observe the dog aware of the in and out breath, I observe the dog pooping aware of the in and out breath, I take a poo bag aware of the in and out breath, I bend down aware of the in and out breath, I pick up the poo aware of the in and out breath, etc ....

The same is when I talk to a customer, I talk and listen while aware of the whole body breathing and calming into the body with each in and out breath.

This naturally came out of the sitting practice. I never forced this and therefor I see the practice being the fundamental aspect of this Path and all the other written stuff is a mind clutter for the intellectuals in need for justification or similar, I don't know  :-\

One more thing! Even though I am getting more and more aware in my off the cushion life I am not giving up on the sitting practice which is the ACTUAL SPRING of MINDFULNESS/AWARENESS, from there it slowly flows into the off the cushion life.

C h e

Offline ramelec

« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 March 2011, 08:28 AM »
Hey Che,
Do you do walking mediatation too?  8)
Best Regards
Jeffrey

Offline Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 March 2011, 09:18 AM »

Thanks, Che, for this answer. Yes, awareness tends to drift away ...

Even though I am getting more and more aware in my off the cushion life I am not giving up on the sitting practice which is the ACTUAL SPRING of MINDFULNESS/AWARENESS, from there it slowly flows into the off the cushion life.

:)
anicca

Morning Dew

« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 March 2011, 12:52 PM »
@ Jeffrey ; I do Che-Meditation  8) ;)

@ Stef ; You are more than welcome mate  :)

C h e

Offline ramelec

« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 March 2011, 12:24 AM »
You can but it's hard to stay mindful unless you have a little practice behind you. You may fall asleep - if you do that's fine - you probably need sleep more than meditation. For your formal practice I recommend sitting. If you are having trouble falling asleep at night calm-abiding practice, breathing and relaxing, will often help you go to sleep (just remember not to stay awake!).

Matthew

I am tapering off one of my medication and has been suffering v anxiousness when I get up in the very morning. I still do sitting meditation but can anyone advise if I still lie in bed is there a solution to do lying meditation. Thanks.
Best Regards
Jeffrey

Jeeprs

« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 March 2011, 12:56 AM »
Get up an have a shower first, before lying down again. If you lie down, try lying on a firm surface, like a yoga mat. I don't think anyone recommends 'meditating while lying in bed' for reasons that are almost too obvious to be stated. If you find that you are too anxious to do that, it might be advisable to get some counselling before proceeding further, to help understand the source of the anxieties.

Offline ramelec

« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 March 2011, 03:53 AM »
I have been counselling too. The change and tapering has to do the kick off anxiety. I just want to control the anxiety when I suddenly got up and try to use meditation to control.
Best Regards
Jeffrey

Jeeprs

« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 March 2011, 09:55 AM »
Well, you're the only person in your shoes. The only other thing I can suggest is perhaps yoga asanas and breathing exercises as well as meditation. This might help to relax the body/mind.

Offline Quardamon

• Practice, tradition or school: Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 27 March 2011, 11:57 AM »
Hello Ramelec,

So you wrote your last post at three o'clock in the night, your local time.
If I wake up suddenly and it is with a dream or nightmare, I write down the dream. Maybe drink a cup of tea. And go back to bed. The next day I will try to understand the dream.
Sometimes in the night I wake up and do not remember a dream. Than I do sitting meditation. And go back to bed afterword.

Be well,
Quardamon

Offline ramelec

« Reply #19 on: Sunday 27 March 2011, 01:03 PM »
Dear quadramon

Thanks for the reply. I have not been dreaming ever since I started medication for a while. It is really empty. I do miss my normal times few months ago. But I do know during that time I cry in my sleep and I feel very sad. I believe it has to do with my dad who recently passed away and he was coma for 2 years. Very hard for me as I was out of town.

The people in this forum is very caring and this gives me a lot of inspiration in meditation. I will practise till the end of time.

With metta
Best Regards
Jeffrey

Offline Quardamon

• Practice, tradition or school: Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 March 2011, 05:41 PM »
Hello ramelec,

I am sorry to hear this about your father. I understand that you lost him two years before he died. So long in coma. That makes it more difficult to say goodbye to him. It is understandable that you cried during that time.
I am glad that you get inspiration from the forum, and that you feel the caring of people. I hope you can feel this care and this inspiration also without thinking of the forum. Like a metta meditation: you receive care and you give care. It is a beautiful way to relax.

Be well,

Quardamon

Offline Quardamon

« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 April 2011, 06:55 PM »
Hello ramelec,

I just wonder how you are. I suppose you get an email notice when someone posts in this thread. You have been meditating for almost two months now. I hope it gives you some calm and quietness.

Be well,

Quardamon

Offline ramelec

« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 April 2011, 08:34 AM »
I am doing well thanks for asking..didn't meditate much this week just about 10-15 mins or whenever time is possible. My mum is in town and I just want to spend quality time with her :) and that makes me happy.
Best Regards
Jeffrey

Morning Dew

« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 April 2011, 04:48 PM »
Hallo ramelec my friend :) so good to see you again and by the way you write I would say you feel much better now and are enjoying your mothers visit. Good on you mate :)

Dont worry about not meditating much. Do it when you can and for as long as you can. No reason to over do it. No reason to stop with it either ;)
Stay well my friend and tell us how you are keeping every now and then :)

Friendly Dusko ( aka Che)
« Last Edit: Sunday 17 April 2011, 04:51 PM by Dusko »

Offline ramelec

« Reply #24 on: Monday 18 April 2011, 07:33 AM »
I really very much enjoy meditating - I feel good!
Best Regards
Jeffrey